Both air diffusion and air stones are used to inject oxygen into your hydroponic solution. Dissolved oxygen is what allows hydroponic gardens to allow plant roots to remain fully immersed in water without becoming oxygen starved. There are a few minor differences between the two methods of air injection.
- Produce smaller bubbles allowing for faster and easier transfer of oxygen into solution
- Are more prone to clogging with root mass or particulates.
- Creates less back pressure on pumps than traditional air stones do.
- Can be taken apart and cleaned. Current Culture recommends that they be discarded between grows.
- Are lighter and more flexible.