Cal Mag supplements solve the common problem of nutrient deficiency in your plants, in this case being calcium and magnesium. This blend of calcium and magnesium is an important one-two punch for both hydroponic and soil plants, and we encourage our growers to utilize a Cal Mag supplement in conjunction with a regular nutrient and feeding schedule, similar to how a human should take a multivitamin to ensure proper secondary macro-nutrient and micro-nutrient uptake.
What does Cal Mag do for your plants?
- Increases strength of cell walls
- Improves absorption of other nutrients
- Increases growth rates
- Activation of plant enzymes to aid metabolism
- Increases flowering, budding, and fruiting
Before using one of these nutrient blends, it is important to make sure your plant is actually deficient in either calcium or magnesium. There are certain situations where a grower should expect issues to arise and prepare accordingly, such as when using soft or purified water, as well as when using Reverse Osmosis water. Another situation where Cal Mag is necessary from the start is when growing in coco coir, as this medium tends to lock out calcium.
What do calcium and magnesium deficiencies look like?
- A slow or halt in growth of plant and/or buds
- Spotted, unhealthy growth on the leaves of the plant
- Leaves start to turn a lighter green, and eventually yellow as issue persists
- A gradual decrease in plant health, starting at bottom and working to the top
By identifying these issues early, a Cal Mag supplement can alleviate the symptoms and create a better nutrient balance in the plant, preventing health issues due to blossom end rot, stem rot, and tip burn. To learn more about nutrients and effective supplementation, visit the Nutrients and Fertilizer section of our learning center or give us a call at 888-815-9763!