Grodan Product Documents
A-OK Starter Plugs
A-Ok Starter Plugs are for starting seeds and rooting cuttings prior to plugging into larger Gro-Blocks
Grodan A-OK plugs are designed for seed and cutting propagation prior to “blocking on” into larger growing blocks. The V-shape design of the plug discourages tangling of roots between the plugs in the A-OK plug sheet. A’OK plugs come in a sheet that fits a standard 10×20 flat.
- Ideal for starting larger seeds such as peppers, tomatoes and cuttings before transferring to Net Pots for Hydroponic Systems.
- Sheets are available with 98 starter plugs that are 1.5"x1.5" or 200 plugs that are 1"x1".
- Designed for seed and cutting propagation prior to "blocking on" into larger growing blocks.
What is Stonewool?
Grodan Stonewool (rockwool) is made from molten rock spun into cotton candy-like fibers and then compressed into cubes, blocks, or slabs. Where other rockwool brand manufacturers cut all sizes from one batch of wool, Grodan is unique by making different types of fibers. The purpose is to support the requirement of the plant in the different plant stages. Grodan has a tremendous capacity for absorbing nutrient solution while retaining plenty of oxygen for rapid plant growth. Grodan comes in graduated sizes. Seedlings started in cubes are easily transferred to blocks and then onto slabs, if desired. Seedlings or cuttings started in the Grodan cubes can also be transplanted into more traditional planters and growing mediums.
Grodan A-OK Starter Plugs Videos
- Product Q&A
Grodan A-OK Starter Plugs Questions & Answers
Q: What is stone wool?
A: Stone wool is a mineral wool made of volcanic rock. Stone wool consists of 5% solid material in the form of stone fibres. The remaining 95% is made up of pores.
Q: How is stone wool made?
A: The basic materials for our stone wool are basalt and limestone. These are melted to form lava in an oven with a temperature of 1,500°C. The lava is then poured over a number of fast-rotating discs. Thanks to the centrifugal force, the drops fly off the discs and lengthen to form fibres. The process can be compared with candy floss being made at a fair. The fibres are then compressed to form a sturdy mass, from which the slabs and blocks are then cut.
Q: Why is stone wool suited for growing vegetables?
A: Our stone wool growing media are designed for Precision Growing in a greenhouse. Precision Growing focuses on ‘root zone management’, or in other words, steering of the root environment. Everything that happens in the stone wool substrate has an impact on the functioning of the root environment and therefore the development of the plant. So, we continually investigate how our products, tools and user advice can respond perfectly to changing circumstances, so that the plant is given the very best care, without wasting resources.
- Tech Specs